Help! My Toddler Runs from me..
There is nothing more frustrating than having a toddler running around the house laughing at you when you are trying to correct them or get them to bed. Toddlers love to be in control and this is one of their favorite methods of exacting control.
The key is not to play their game but to only play this game of catch me when it is instigated by you and only on your terms.
So what do you do when your toddler takes off in a gallop around the house at bedtime or to avoid the bath?
Here’s my simple method for stopping the chase.
- First tell them “This is not a game, come here now” in a CALM yet firm voice.
- If they refuse, walk to their room and start picking up a few of their favorite toys
- Don’t say a word, you have already told them to come.
- Let them see that you have the toys and then start placing them up in an area out of their reach
- Walk back to their room and grab their pillow or favorite stuffed animal
- Keep putting up stuff until they come to you
- Once they have come to you… hug them and then say in a quiet, calm voice “It’s time to go to bed, do you want your pillow for bed?”.
- If they come to you screaming or have a tantrum, you still need to tell them in a calm voice “It’s time to go to bed, do you want your toys?”.
- Give them time to calm themselves and then repeat the question.
- Once they are in bed, give them hugs and kisses, and return the toys to their room.
They may test you on this but if you are consistent and stay calm, you will win this battle.